Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Here's Proof

My favorite movie is Casablanca. In it, there is a scene where Captain Renault says he is "shocked" to discover that there is gambling in Rick's saloon...just as someone hands him his winnings. Likewise, I am "shocked" by a quote today from a member of the Supreme Court, Ruth Bader Ginsburg.

Ginsburg argued that the second amendment's right to bear arms is really not a fundamental right that should be honored and protected. To support her conclusion she said, "If the notion is that these are principles that any free society would adopt, well, a lot of free societies have rejected the right to keep and bear arms."

There you have it. Two things I bet you didn't know. First, because other societies oppress this right, it's not really oppression if we do as well. Secondly, international precedent can trump the constitution. Isn't that nice to know?

I'm shocked, but should I be? Here's what doesn't shock me...Ginsburg's quote is proof that you don't have to be a genius to serve on the Supreme Court.

No comments: