Thursday, March 18, 2010

Already Taken

Imagine that I invented a new sport. This sport involves throwing darts at balloons. I'm very excited about this sport. I want to market it and make it a mainstream hobby in America. I hope that one day it will even become an Olympic sport. But first, I need to give my dart-throwing sport a name. Would I call it "Bowling?" Of course not. Why not? There is already a sport called bowling and it is nothing like the one I have invented. "Bowling" involves rolling a ball down a lane to knock down pins. Whatever I call my new sport, it can't be bowling. Bowling is already taken.

Likewise, there is an institution called marriage. The defining quality of marriage is fidelity. However, this is not so with so called "gay marriage." There's an editorial in today's Baptist Press about the nature of "gay marriage" that does a marvelous job of demonstrating just how different the traditional understanding of marriage is from what is being advocated by those who attack it. You can read the article HERE.

No comments: