Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Where God Has Put Me

I was in my office this afternoon preparing my message for next Sunday when I got an interesting visit. A complete stranger walked in and asked if we had any holy water we could give her. She said she wasn't religious but her mom just moved into a new home and needed some holy water to dedicate it. (She was just the one running the errand.) I didn't get to visit with her for long because she was out the door when she ascertained that we didn't have the kind of "holy water" she was looking for. But this brief encounter reminded me of why I love serving in a place like South Florida. Little experiences like this just don't happen in most parts of the country, especially in the Bible belt. This is where the greatest spiritual need is, in my humble opinion. This is the front line. For the life of me, I can't understand why anyone in ministry who cares a lick about missions wouldn't want to be where I am. Where else can you share the story of the prodigal son with people who haven't heard it or even heard of it and see the look of awe when you get to the end and they realize it's about God? Where else can you reach people for Christ who will then take the gospel to the ends of the earth every time they go "home" for a visit? Where else can you touch so many cultures and people groups in such a short amount of time without even leaving your county? If you live in Miami-Dade county and you're thinking about leaving, you need to seriously reconsider whether or not that is what God has called you to do. Frankly, we don't need believers leaving, we need believers arriving.

No comments: