Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Kids and TV

The New York Times did an article this week about kids who have a television in their bedroom. These children have:
* Lower test scores
* Less sleep
* Are more likely to be overweight
* Are more likely to eventually smoke.

Furthermore, children with a bedroom tv watch nine more hours of tv per week (from 21 to 30 hours). Parents are less likely to know what their children are watching. The article pointed out that in spite of all of this information, 70% of third graders have a television in their bedroom.

To me, it's obvious. Parents are given the sacred responsibility of training up their children to fear and love the Lord. Put a television in their room and you have made your task an almost impossible one. Do you bowl blindfolded? Do you run a marathon with your shoestrings tied to each other? What's the difference? You have also severely handicapped your child. My one is question "Why?" I think it must be because parents are too lazy/preoccupied/etc. to spend quality time with their kids. We let Hollywood raise our children and then wonder why most abandon the faith.

If you're reading this and your children have a tv in their bedroom, do them a favor and ditch it. Get them a library card. Play board games. Learn a hobby. Find another ministry. Anything but tv!

2 comments:

John said...

Hi Howard,

I am another "The Shepherd's Staff" blog. My call letters are thyrodandstaff.blogspot.com - drop by sometime!

Congrats on the new baby! You look to have a beautiful family. My beloved and I also have 3 (17, 14, and 12).

I also notice you are Samford Grad. I am class of 1989.

Blessings brother.

John

Howard Harden said...

Just when I start to think that I had an original thought! THANKS!

Hey seriously, thanks for dropping by. You got out three years before I got in. I'm class of 96. Go Bulldogs!

I'll be sure to check out your blog.