Tuesday, January 8, 2008

High Impact Church Conference

I attended a "High Impact Church Conference" today at Urban Impact Ministries in Hialeah. Special thanks to Al Fernandez who works hard to help equip churches and train pastors in South Florida. Al is an example of cooperative program dollars working well. Here are some random reflections and actual quotes from the conference. Most of these speak just to pastors, but maybe this will give you some insight into what a pastor's life is like.

"Preaching weekly is like delivering a baby every Sunday and then finding out on Monday that you are pregnant again."

“Once you open the floodgates, you can’t tell the water where to run.” (Speaking of moral relativism in our society)

"If you ask lost people, 'What do Christians stand for?' you’ll have to go through one hundred people citing different political issues before hearing someone say 'Jesus Christ is Lord.'"

“If truth is what we decide it is or what a majority of people say it is, then we are a ship without a rudder.”

"Discipline is not working long and hard. Lots of lazy people work very hard. Discipline is doing what needs to be done when it needs to be done.”

“Dear God, give me a holy disregard for what people think.”

“The moment I’m preaching and I care whether people like me is the moment I’m no longer concerned with what God is saying.”

When preaching is good, people will say “I like him.” When preaching is great, they’ll say “He loves me.”

No comments: