Tuesday, December 4, 2007

The Martyr's Oath

The Martyr's Oath is a foreign concept to American Christians, since we don't tend to die martyr's deaths. However, in other parts of the world where severe persecution is a fact of life, the Martyr's Oath is common. You'll find various versions, different but similar. Students at one Bible Institute in India must take this vow before graduation. Here is a copy of one version, shared by former Muslim and seminary president, Ergun Caner.

"Today, I stand as a dead man. I declare that in Jesus Christ, I am saved by his blood, and thus I am dead to sin, and no longer dead in my sin. Today, I stand and declare that I surrender my will and my life to His will and His life. I shall go where He sends me, without asking questions. I shall go to whomever He sends me, without seeking fame. I shall preach to everyone, even if they hate me. I am an Ambassador of the cross, and must deliver the message. I shall pour my life out to reach my family, my friends, my neighbors and my city. I embrace the shame of the cross, and I fear nothing but God. I welcome suffering, shame, persecution, beatings, imprisonment and death, but I will not be silenced. If I am killed, I pray that my blood should be a harvest for souls."

I think we'd do well to commit this oath to memory and make it a regular statement of devotion to God.

No comments: